A huge congrats to our SA artists who’ve picked up ARIA nominations in this week’s announcement. HILLTOP HOODS are up for Best Group and Best Urban Release, THE AUDREYS for Best Blues And Roots Album and THE BEARDS for Best Comedy Release. SIA is also nominated for Album Of The Year, best Female Artist and Best Pop Release too, if you still count her as a local.
– This year’s FOWLER’S LIVE MUSIC AWARDS ceremony isn’t until Thursday November 13, but it’ll be here before you know it. Voting has opened up for the public award categories including SA Song Of The Year, Favourite Band/Artist, Favourite Live Music Venue, Favourite Live Music Event and Favourite SA Music Media Source. Public voting closes on November 9 so don’t overthink things and get your votes in here.
– It’ll be a little while before the local acts are announced, but the first lineup for WOMADelaide 2015 has been released and included international acts like RUFUS WAINWRIGHT [USA], PUBLIC SERVICE BROADCASTING [UK], NENEH CHERRY [UK], RAMZI ABUREDWAN [PAL], YOUSSOU N’DOUR [SEN] and heaps more. Check out the full list here.
– “F#$%. Internet just killed the video star” was my favourite comment on this one: ALPHA BETA FOX put some visuals to their latest single Something / Nothing, but in in the usual way you’d expect. 100% programmed using a variety of web technologies and completely interactive, have a walk around one of the most incredible things you’ll play with today at SomethingNothing.net.
– Along the more traditional path, THE ROCKETEERS have released their long-awaited film clip for Phazer. A collaboration with MAPS film school, the clip was shot on Super8 tape and tells the tale of a trip in space. Check it out here.
– Also with a new film clip is the debut single from rapper K21. Produced by SUFFA [HILLTOP HOODS] the tune Change My Way also features vocals from JOY SPARKES [QUESTION QUESTION, GOODBYE]. See the clip here.
– MATT HILLS is a name well-known in the local music scene. His Hillside Studios has recorded many local bands as well as hosting their rehearsals. Hillside has hosted a couple of small festivals in the past, but this November promises to be the biggest one yet. Featuring two outdoor stages, the lineup is pretty much a dream come true. BAD//DREEMS, ARCHERS, THE DUNES, HORROR MY FRIEND and GLASS SKIES [among others] are on one stage, with THE VILLENETTES, GHYTI, THE ROCKETEERS, TRUCE and more on another. Oh, and PETER COMBE, too. Yes, that Peter Combe. Tickets are on sale now and are sure to sell out soon, so make sure you get on it ASAP.
– Speaking of selling out, word is that there’s only one bus left for THE MAKE READY LAB‘s Bus To Big Trees, which sees NAOMI KEYTE, SWIMMING, SPARKSPITTER and more perform in the leafy Kuitpo Forest. Quit dilly-dallying and get your tickets here.