Good news for indie labels – in response to feedback from the music industry, there’s a new deadline to enter RELEASE (the Business of Label Management), and expanded eligibility criteria.
Applications for the trans-Tasman professional development program will now be accepted from senior management of an independent record label as well as owners of a label, and from music business owners or senior management who have been operating a business in artist management, booking, touring or publishing for at least two years and have recently added a label division to their business operations. Senior management is regarded as the chief operating officer or general manager of a company. Past alumnae of Control prior to 2014 will also be eligible to apply.
The updated eligibility criteria for the program are:
• have recognition in the Australian or New Zealand market
(This will be assessed by evidence of media coverage gained for releases, marketing collateral, advertising, chart positioning, or third party distribution and licensing deals.)
• have been running their label or an allied music industry business for at least two years
• have a catalogue of albums (or album equivalents) from three different artists.
(We state “album equivalents” so we can include dance labels with predominantly single releases)
• extensive touring experience and/or
• national airplay and chart action
• be an owner, co-owner or senior manager of the label
• only one person from each label can participate in the program
• Be a citizen or permanent resident of Australia or New Zealand
• alumnae of previous editions of Control prior to 2014 can now apply
The selection criteria will remain:
• the track record of the applicant
• the applicant’s reasons for applying to the program
• The applicant’s statements in support of their application
The new closing date for applications is 9am Thursday 8 October 2015.
Completed applications should be emailed to: email@example.com
Read more about the program in our original post.